The French Threat and a New Uniform, 1800 - 1836

The beginning of the nineteenth century saw further reorganisation within the Company and an increase in the number of members, encouraged by the threat of a French invasion.

The Rifle (or Yager) Company was established at the end of 1803. In the same year, the Matross Division was doubled in strength to man two new guns (now displayed at the entrance to Armoury House) donated by Alderman Sir William Curtis Bt MP, former Lord Mayor of London and subsequent President of the Company. The Veteran Company was introduced in 1804.

Following the cessation of hostilities with France in 1815, the Company continued its role of policing the City, providing guards as required. The Duke of Sussex was appointed the Company’s Colonel in 1817.

Soon after his accession in August 1830, William IV appointed himself as the Company’s Captain-General and, probably under the influence of The Duke of Sussex (his younger brother), ordered that the whole Regiment’s uniform should be similar to that worn by the Grenadier Guards, but with silver buttons and lace substituted for gold.